This chilled corn and bean salad with chicken is a result of one of those nights when you have some stuff in your fridge and it just kind of sits there and stares at you, and you know that you have to eat some of it but you aren’t sure what, how, or why. You wouldn’t think that this is a problem that I face frequently, but it happens more often than I enjoy. However, once you hone in on a couple ingredients and skim through a cookbook or two (or ten), some really yummy dishes can result!
If you’re stuck for dinner one night or want a recipe that’s pretty fail-safe, give this a go! It’s pretty quick and cost effective besides.
Chilled Corn & Bean Salad with Chicken
Makes: 3-4 servings
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 chicken breast, cooked
- 1 tin (400 ml / 16 oz) corn kernels, rinsed
- 1/2 cucumber, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1/2 tin beans (about 3/4 cup, can be mixed beans, chick peas, kidney beans, black beans, etc.)
- juice of 1 lemon (about 4-5 tbsp)
- olive oil
- red or white wine vinegar
- lime juice
- small handful fresh herbs, such as parsley, oregano, or cilantro / coriander
- handful olives
- dash each cayenne pepper, ground coriander
Cook your chicken breast as per your usual method, just until you can see no more pink and juices run clear. Let cool and chop into bite-size pieces.
In large bowl, mix together the chicken, corn, cucumber, red onion, and beans. Add the lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil, a drizzle of the red wine vinegar, and a dash of lime juice. Add your chopped fresh herbs, a handful of olives, and the spices. Taste and adjust as necessary. Toss well, refrigerate for a minimum of 20 minutes. Serve cold, either as a side or as a main dish. Leftovers will keep excellently for the next couple of days.